The care support volunteer is required specifically to assist the care team in looking after the children at weekends. It is a non-clinical role that requires enthusiasm, dedication, flexibility, lots of energy, and for the volunteer to be friendly and approachable whilst maintaining boundaries and confidentiality.
Location: Christopher’s, Guildford
Time: Saturdays: 7.30am–3pm or 2pm–9pm Sundays: 2pm–9pm
Duties and key responsibilities
- Assisting with care such as washing, dressing, hair brushing etc.
- Reception Duties
- Dry-siding (managing family swim sessions)
- Support with activities and outings
- Helping to tidy bedrooms, pack suitcases
- Babysitting for siblings
- Help with organised art/craft activities
- Sitting with a stable child/young person whilst the nurse/carer briefly does another task
- Folding and putting away laundry
Essential Skills and Experience
- Teaching/nursing or caring background is desirable.
- Available to help on a regular basis either weekly or fortnightly
- Flexibility is important as the need for CSV varies from week to week
- Available for in-house training twice a year
- Ability to commit on a long term basis is desirable due to the investment in training
Please note all new care support volunteers must attend a full day’s training before they can commence volunteering. The next training day is on Friday, 7 February 2020.
Please note all volunteer roles at our hospices require us to carry out a DBS Check, this is a simple online procedure. (This role requires an Enhanced DBS Check).