This volunteer role is required to assist the in-house direct care team. Many of the children require 2:1 care and you would be assisting with care alongside an in-house care team member, as well as supporting the staff with a variety of other tasks enabling them to provide excellent care. You would be an integral part of the team for that shift but you will also be expected to be proactive and work independently where necessary to perform a variety of tasks. It is a role that requires enthusiasm, dedication, flexibility, lots of energy, and for the volunteer to be friendly and approachable whilst maintaining boundaries and confidentiality.
Location: Christopher’s, Guildford
Time: Late shift: 2pm–9pm Mondays to Thursday’s . Minimum of three shifts per month – days flexible.
Duties and key responsibilities
- Assisting with care such as washing, dressing, hair brushing etc.
- Reception duties
- Helping with activities and outings
- Helping to tidy bedrooms, pack suitcases
- Helping with siblings
- Babysitting for siblings at the hospice
- Help with organised art/craft activities
- Sitting with a stable child/young person whilst the nurse/carer briefly does another task
- Folding and putting away laundry
- Helping to keep the environment tidy and organised
- Pool watching – sitting by the side of the pool whilst its in use, initiating rescue in an emergency.
Essential Skills and Experience
- Teaching/nursing or caring background is desirable.
- Available to help on a regular basis preferably at least three times per month. This can be weekly or fortnightly, but can be flexible and does not need to be a set day every week.
- Available for mandatory in-house training once a year
- Able to swim and to attend mandatory pool training once a year (desirable)
- It is desirable that you are able to commit to at least one year in the hope that both you and the organisation get the best out of the experience
- Full, clean driving licence (desirable) (Volunteer may be required to pick up prescription medicine for supported children/young people)
- Shifts times :Early shift 0730 to 1500. (Saturday’s and Sunday’s) Late shift 1400 to 2100 (Monday to Sunday but flexibility to leave after 1930 if required). It is important for you to be present at the beginning of the shift so you can attend handover and feel part of the team for that shift
Please note all volunteer roles at our hospices require us to carry out a DBS Check, this is a simple online procedure. (This role requires an Enhanced DBS Check).