The care support volunteer is required specifically to assist the care team in looking after the children at weekends. It is a non-clinical role that requires enthusiasm, dedication, flexibility, lots of energy, and for the volunteer to be friendly and approachable whilst maintaining boundaries and confidentiality.
Location: Christopher’s, Guildford
Time: Saturdays: 7.30am–3pm or 2pm–9pm Sundays: 2pm–9pm
Duties and key responsibilities
- Assisting with care such as washing, dressing, hair brushing etc.
- Reception Duties
- Dry-siding (managing family swim sessions)
- Support with activities and outings
- Helping to tidy bedrooms, pack suitcases
- Babysitting for siblings
- Help with organised art/craft activities
- Sitting with a stable child/young person whilst the nurse/carer briefly does another task
- Folding and putting away laundry
Essential Skills and Experience
- Teaching/nursing or caring background is desirable.
- Available to help on a regular basis either weekly, fortnightly or monthly
- Flexibility is important as the need for CSV varies from week to week
- Available for in-house training twice a year
- Ability to commit on a long term basis is desirable due to the investment in training
Please note all new care support volunteers must attend a full day’s training before they can commence volunteering. The next training day is on Saturday, 27 April 2019.
Please note all volunteer roles at our hospices require us to carry out a DBS Check, this is a simple online procedure. (This role requires an Enhanced DBS Check).