Volunteer Hospice Gardeners assist the Maintenance team at Shooting Star House, Hampton with keeping the grounds watered, weeded and neat and tidy as well as offering advice and helping to supervise corporate gardening teams.
Volunteer Gardeners assist the Maintenance team at Shooting Star House, our Hampton Hospice. You’ll be helping keep the grounds watered, weeded and neat and tidy. You’ll also be offering advice and helping to supervise corporate gardening teams. This enables them to do a better job and feel more rewarded about volunteering.
Whether you’re a green fingered guru or just happy to help out with general weeding and watering, we’d love to have you join our supportive and active community of volunteers. We have over 700 volunteers supporting us, and we couldn’t manage to run our two hospices without them.
The garden is an integral part of the support we offer to life-limited children and their families. They include wheelchair accessible playground equipment, a fountain area at the centre of the hospice and our separate remembrance garden. On special days the garden also plays host to Easter egg hunts, outdoor games and more. Keeping the garden looking nice, and making sure it is safe for supported children, is really important to us.
Location: Shooting Star House, Hampton TW12 3RA
Time: Tuesday or Thursday morning’s for two or three hours
Volunteer Gardeners: Duties and key responsibilities
- Tasks vary according to the season – but general weeding, planting, deadheading and pruning.
- Tend flower tubs and flower beds; water and deadhead as necessary and keep neat.
- Keep car park beds weeded, watered and tidied.
- Offer advice and assist with supervising corporate gardening groups
Essential Skills and Experience
- Knowledge of gardening, plants and horticulture is an advantage.
- Basic gardening skills.
- Ability to work as part of a team.
- Initiative and common sense
- Preferred weekly half day shift; Tuesday or Thursday am. (We are setting up a new group and we will be selecting the day that is most popular.)
All Volunteer roles at our hospices require us to carry out a DBS check at the appropriate level – this is a simple online procedure. This role will be checked at a Standard level.