Volunteer Gardeners assist the Maintenance team at Christopher’s, our Guildford Hospice. You’ll be helping keep the grounds watered, weeded and neat and tidy. You’ll also be offering advice and helping to supervise corporate gardening teams. This enables them to do a better job and feel more rewarded about volunteering.
Whether you’re a green fingered guru or just happy to help out with general weeding and watering, we’d love to have you join our supportive and active community of volunteers. We have over 700 volunteers supporting us, and we couldn’t manage to run our two hospices without them.
The garden and grounds at Christopher’s are an integral part of the support we offer to life-limited children and their families. They include wheelchair accessible playground equipment, a sensory focused nature trail and our remembrance garden. On special days the gardens also play host to Easter egg hunts, outdoor games and our annual Family Fun Day. Keeping the gardens looking nice, and making sure they are safe for supported children, is really important to us.
Location: Christopher’s, Artington, Guildford GU3 1LP
Time: Wednesday morning’s for two or three hours
Volunteer Gardeners: Duties and key responsibilities
- Tasks will vary according to the season – but in general jobs include weeding, planting, deadheading and pruning.
- Tend flower tubs and flower beds; water and deadhead as necessary and keep neat.
- Keep car park beds weeded, watered and tidied.
- Offer advice and assist with supervising corporate gardening groups.
Essential Skills and Experience
- A knowledge of gardening, plants and horticulture is an advantage.
- Basic gardening skills.
- Ability to work as part of a team.
- Initiative and common sense.
- Weekly half day shift; Wednesday mornings.
All Volunteer roles at our hospices require us to carry out a DBS check at the appropriate level – this is a simple online procedure. This role will be checked at a Standard level.