As a Volunteer Photographer, you’ll support Shooting Star Children’s Hospices, primarily at external events. This could be big third party events like the London Marathon, or our own events like the Sunrise Walk, or the Stadium Challenge. It might also include smaller events at our hospices. The images you take will be used across a range of mediums, both online and offline, to raise awareness of the work that we do, as well as to promote future events. This includes our social media accounts, and publications like Shine magazine and our annual review.
Volunteers need to have access to their own photography equipment, to be able to produce high resolution images, suitable for print publication. It would be helpful to have previous experience as a photographer (with a portfolio). If successful you would join our volunteer photographer pool, and would be notified of events that we need photography support for.
We’d love the images we use to be real, not stock, and to showcase the real lives, situations and experiences of the families we support, and the work of our volunteers and supporters. Each image should aim to tell a story. In general we try and make use of images that have low depth of field, and focus on one or two subjects.
Location: External locations and at our hospices in Hampton and Guildford
Time: Can vary according to the event, but usually between two and four hours
Volunteer Photographer: Duties and key responsibilities
- Attend fundraising and hospice events as and when needed.
- Work to a brief, photographing people (candid and posed) at events – this may include fundraising events, volunteering events and hospice events.
- Process and deliver all images within an agreed time frame.
Essential Skills and Experience
- Photography experience, either professionally or as a hobby.
- Ability to follow a brief.
- Experience of working independently and in a fast-paced environment.
- Good people skills and take initiative to ensure the best shots are achieved.
- Sensitivity to the needs of children living with life-limiting conditions and their families.
- Experience of working with children would be useful.
Please also note all volunteer roles at our hospices require us to carry out a DBS Check, this is a simple online procedure. (This role requires a Standard DBS Check)