The Volunteer PAT Certifier carries out PAT certification of small electrical items that have been donated to our shops and ensures that they are recorded as safe to use.
The role will be carried out in each shop as needed. We have 13 shops that are grouped into clusters for better logistics. Specific times and locations can be agreed with your application.
Location: For our 13 shops which are based in Ashford, Battersea, Cobham, Chiswick, Fulham, Guildford, Hampton Hill, Shepperton, Teddington, Twickenham, Walton, Weybridge, Whitton,
Time: Flexible approx 6 hours per week
Duties and key responsibilities
- Sorting various donated household electrical products that can be brought back into use
- Carrying out portable appliance test on donated electrical goods e.g. kettles, lamps, toasters etc.
- Rectify minor faults discovered as a result of the PAT – replacing cables, fuses, plug tops etc.
- Completing test sheets for each item tested and file
- Ensuring PAT test label is placed on each item
- Checking that products have suitable instructions/warnings attached to them
- Carry out electrical testing of all Mains operated Portable electrical equipment to ensure legal compliance
- Carry out every-day functional tests to ensure that the donated appliances are fit for purpose and safe to be sold in various Shooting Star Children’s Hospice retail outlets
- Ensure that all systems are tested to the relevant electrical standards, as dictated by Professional bodies ensuring best practice is employed in all activities
- Place items that have been passed to Manager for distribution
- Place failed items to Manager for disposal according to re-cycling regulations
- Ensure that the PAT testing equipment and extension lead are securely stored at the end of session
- Report any equipment deficiencies
- Comply with all SSCH H& S and Risk Assessments policies and procedures
Essential Skills and Experience
- Be reliable, dependable and committed to a high standards
- Be cheerful and demonstrate good customer service skills
- Show a good level of common sense and a practical capability
- Be able to follow instructions and operate independently
- Establish a focused and methodical approach to tasks
- Have a desire to learn and improve and undertake necessary training
- Be physically fit with good stamina – lifting, carrying and standing will be required
NB – Previous experience is not essential as full training will be provided via internal and external training programmes. The volunteer will gain a full understanding about Portable Appliance Testing.
Driving Licence advantageous
Approximately 1 day per week to cover several shops.