If you are doing a Duke of Edinburgh’s Award or considering a medical, retail or fashion career, why not apply to be one of our young volunteers? At our hospices you will need to be 16, but if you are doing your doing DofE and are at least 15 years of age you can volunteer in one of our shops.
Where you can help
In our shops
If you can spot a designer label, have a feel for fashion and can make our customers feel welcome, we have a role for you.
In your community
Join our Young Ambassadors Scheme! If you would like to build your public speaking and leadership skills, whilst supporting your local children’s hospice, then this scheme is for you. You will promote Shooting Star Children’s Hospices in your school/college, or any clubs of which you are a member, with the aim of raising money and awareness. Workshops for participants will include Presenting & Persuading, Budgeting and Planning and Leadership Skills. Please contact Georgina Brookes for more details on 01932 823100.
In our hospices
Due to their many complex needs, you will not be working directly with the children in our care but you can still play an important role helping in the kitchen.
Young Volunteering Scheme
The Summer Young Volunteering scheme runs from July to September and the Autumn Young Volunteering scheme runs from November to January. The Summer Scheme is now closed. Although you will not be working directly with the children in our care, you will gain an insight into our service and many young people who are interested in entering the healthcare professions find the experience helpful, to include when completing their UCAS forms and of benefit at the interview stage.
We are now accepting applications for the Autumn Scheme which will run from November 2019 to January 2020. The closing date for applicants is Sunday, 22 September.
Volunteering opportunities at the hospices will be available at:
- Christopher’s, Old Portsmouth Road, Artington, Guildford, GU3 1LP: (alternate weeks) Saturday 10am to 12 noon; 12 noon to 2pm ; and Sunday 10am to 12 noon
- Shooting Star House, The Avenue, Hampton, TW12 3RA: (alternate weeks) Saturday 10am to 12 noon; 12 noon to 2pm ; and Sunday 10am to 12 noon
Group interviews will take place on:
- Tuesday, 17 September 5pm to 6pm at Christopher’s (six places available)
- Wednesday, 18 September 5pm to 6pm at Shooting Star House (six places available)
Inductions will be held on:
- Tuesday, 1 October from 5pm to 7.15pm at Christopher’s (six places available)
- Wednesday, 2 October from 5pm to 7.15pm at Shooting Star House (six places available)