Skip to content

Shooting Star Children’s Hospices launch Christmas tree collection

November 30, 2022

We are thrilled to announce our first ever local Christmas tree collection and recycling service. In return for a small donation, which will go towards us supporting babies, children and young people with life-limiting conditions, and their families, we will collect your real Christmas tree, take it away and recycle it for you.

Running in partnership with JustHelping, a UK charity who aim to empower communities to raise money for local causes, Shooting Star Children’s Hospices will receive 90% of money raised, with the other 10% distributed to other local charities. What’s more, as well as supporting local families, your trees will be recycled into environmentally friendly compost by our partner Merrist Wood College for the Guilford-based collection.  For the Hampton-based collection, trees will be chipped sustainably by our other partners The Tree Agency, and Mortlake Crematorium.

We will be collecting trees from two different areas, operating within a radius of our two hospices, Shooting Star House in Hampton and our hospice Christopher’s in Guildford, Surrey. Our Volunteer Elves will collect from a wide number of GU and TW postcodes on Saturday 7, Sunday 8 and Monday 9 January 2023.

Corporate Relationship Manager, Rumour Giles said, “Our Christmas tree collection scheme means no hassle, no waste, no tree sitting in front of your house and no needles in your car. What’s more by signing up you will be helping to raise vital funds for the 700 families we support across Surrey and west London.”

The deadline for registration closes on Tuesday 3 January at 10am so register your tree today. As always, your generous donation could help us make moments count for local families we support.

£10 could cover the cost of a story time session in our sensory room, with musical floors, lights bubble tubes and water beds which is a perfect environment to lose yourself in a story.

£15 could cover the cost of a memento teddy bear that reminds children of their sibling when they’re not with them.

£20 could pay for a carer to spend an hour with a sibling, giving parents precious time to themselves to grieve. 

So why not take the fuss out of the festivities and sign up for our tree collection today and help support your local children’s hospice charity.

A huge thank you to Merrist Wood College, Mortlake Crematorium, Darryl Parkin at The Tree Agency, Amazon, Sky UK, Kier Constructions & Kier Highways and our army of volunteers for helping make this all possible.

If you would like any more information about collection, volunteer your time or help in any way please get in touch with our team.