We’re looking for a Volunteer Complementary Therapist to help support children with life-limiting conditions and their families at our Hampton Hospice. This is a rewarding volunteer role that allows you to provide your professional skills to help support local families in often very difficult circumstances. Ideally, we are looking for someone with experience in Massage Therapy, Aromatherapy, Reflexology and/or Indian Head Massage.
Location: Shooting Star House, Hampton, TW12 3RA
Time: Preferably one half day (on a week day) once a week or fortnight is preferred (flexible)
Duties and key responsibilities of a Volunteer Complementary Therapist
- To competently provide the Complementary Therapy required for the child or family member
- To assist in providing holistic care as part of the multi-disciplinary team
- Be able to demonstrate a sound understanding of complementary therapies in supportive care, in particular the therapy that they practice
- Be committed to develop skills and knowledge related to child and family needs
- Be aware of child’s diagnosis and current condition to ensure safe practice
- Be aware of contra-indications and cautions to treatment in relation to the therapy they practice
- Respect confidentiality
- To assess the patient physically, emotionally and spiritually so as to adapt treatments to ensure child or parent well-being
- Consultation form to be completed and consent signed at initial treatment
- Complete the required documentation/data entry notes
- Provide feedback to the child’s Care Staff as appropriate and report any adverse effects immediately to Complementary Therapy Coordinator. In the absence of the CTC report to the Therapy Team
- Attend regular group meetings and update sessions and study days
- Renew membership of your professional body annually
Essential Skills and Experience
- Hold a recognised qualification in the relevant therapy and full insurance
- A minimum two years post-qualification experience, preferably in Massage Therapy, Aromatherapy, Reflexology and/or Indian Head Massage
- Maintain skills with CPD in accordance with the professional body’s code of practice
- Someone who is committed, reliable and has a genuine desire to help people.
- Competent IT skills are also essential for this role as input of electronic database notes will be required.
- Full induction will be provided as well as on-going supervision, mentoring and support.
- Attendance at annual mandatory training is also required
- Enhanced DBS checked – all Volunteer roles at our hospices require us to carry out a DBS check at the appropriate level – this is a simple online procedure